Allen County Parks
The Allen County Parks mission is “to establish and manage a permanent park system incorporating conservation, education, outdoor values, and nature preservation, and to provide recreational opportunities for the people of Allen County within this structure.”
Allen County Parks provide:
● Natural areas for recreation and nature study
● Environmental education for thousands of Allen County school children
● Natural and cultural history programs of all ages
● Careful management of county park system resources to maintain and increase natural diversity and recreational opportunities
● Rental facilities in a beautiful natural setting
Two Allen County Parks are located in the Cedar Creek Corridor:
Located on the corner of Coldwater and Shoaff Roads, Cook’s Landing County Park is a small park on Cedar Creek, offering fishing and canoeing access.
● Park amenities:
● Open Shelter
● Canoe access
Metea County Park is a 250 acre park in north-central Allen County near Leo Cedarville, containing the 120 acre Meno-aki State Nature Preserve. The north and south areas of the park are separated by Cedar Creek, a state designated scenic river.
● Gloria Goeglein Nature Center with classrooms and conference room available for rental, education offices, gift shop, exhibits, indoor bird watching area, and restrooms
● Five miles of trails through woodlands, wetlands and a reconstructed prairie
● Grills, picnic shelter, campfire pits (by permit only)
● 1.5 acrea lake with swimming beach (No lifeguard on duty, swim at your own risk)
● Fishing (additional $2 per person, must possess a valid Indiana fishing license)
● Large playfield
● The north portion of the park is undeveloped, with hiking trails through rugged and varied terrain.
● Cross country skiing in the winter with four inches of snow or more, a limited number of ski equipment is available for rental at a small additional cost.
Admission to all Allen County Parks is $2.00 per person age 7 and over. Children under age 7 are FREE.
Friends of Cedar Creek works to ensure the highest water quality for Cedar Creek and to protect and preserve its watershed including geologic features, native plants and animals.
FoCC was founded in 1965 by ACRES co-founders Tom and Jane Dustin to keep Cedar Creek clean and free-flowing, and its woodlands and wetlands natural. FoCC is a group of homeowners, students, educators, outdoor enthusiasts and others who participate in educational meetings and advocacy to protect and preserve Cedar Creek.
The Fort Wayne Chapter Izaak Walton League of America has been serving the outdoor enthusiasts and sportsmen of NE Infiana since being chartered in 1924. Over the years hard working supporters and members alike have maintained and constantly improved the Chapter. FWIWL invites you to come out and hike, shoot or simply socialize with members to see for yourself what they provide – and then to consider becoming a member.
● Groomed hiking trail
● Environmental Action
● A stocked fishing lake
● Public Issue Forums
● Trap and skeet ranges
● Archery range
● Rifle and pistol range
● 3-D Archery shoots
● Activity/Reception Hall Rental
Girl Scouts of Northern Indiana-Michiana
Girl Scouts® helps cultivate values, social conscience and self-esteem in young girls, enabling them to succeed as leaders today and tomorrow. Girl Scouts of Northern Indiana-Michiana provides leadership experiences for more than 6,000 girls ages 5-17.
Girl Scouts of Northern Indiana-Michiana owns Camp McMillen on Cedar Creek:
This beautiful camp boasts 103 acres of wooded ravines, meadows, and trails in northern Allen County in northeast Indiana. Offering lots of outdoor experiences, from a nearly 30 foot tall climbing tower, high adventure zipline course, to an extensive low ropes course, and tons of cool sleeping options, Camp McMillen has something for all troops to enjoy. There are numerous hiking trails throughout the property, one of which leads to a sycamore tree on the banks of Cedar Creek thought to be the second largest in the state of Indiana! This camp also serves as a day camp during the summer. McMillen is proud to be accredited by the American Camp Association.